- Get the students to do creative drills. For example, devise a 'Find somebody who...' activity for them to practise collocations. For example,
- Find someone who
- .....has been on a strict diet
- .....has been in an embarrassing position
- .....has made a critical choice in his/her life etc.
- The students themselves could make up similar activities.
- Get the students to repeat the same activity, for example giving a short talk or telling a story, perhaps three of four times. This has been shown to boost fluency by activating collocations.
- Ask the students to brainstorm nouns on a particular subject, perhaps for a
and adjectives that collocate with those nouns, then adverbs with the verbs, thus
building up a number of lexically dense collocational fields.